Weight Training Series - A few Basic Exercises
Weight training is important for weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. It will help build muscle, which burns fat and calories. It will also help with bone density and endurance.
Biceps – 3 sets of 12 or 15 reps. Bicep curl, yu can use a barbell or dumbbells. For added intensity stand on one leg while doing curls or sit on a Swiss ball. Both choices will test your balance and work the core.
Back – 3 sets of 12 or 15 reps. Bent over row, with dumbbells or barbell. Hinge at the waist and bend your knees (don’t let your knees go past your toes). Keep your elbows tight to your body and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
Legs – 3 sets of 12 or 15. Squats, with or without dumbbells. Remember, to keep your knees behind your toes to avoid injury. As you can see from the pictures below there are different variations based on your desired resistance. Using the Bosu ball in the first image will add extra resistance and work the core and improve balance. The second picture shows you the varying degrees of difficulty by bending your knees more or less.
Triceps – 3 sets of 12 or 15. Tricep pushdown, using a bar or rope (as shown in pictures below). Keep your elbows tight to your body and extend your arms from a bent position to straight.
Chest - 3 set of 12 or 15 reps. Seated fly machine, make sure the handles are in line with your shoulders as shown in the picture below.
Abs – 3 sets of 10 or 20 reps. A complete rep is knee to elbow on each side. Bicycles work every part of your abdominal area.
Shoulders – Dumbbell shoulder press, do this seated on an exercise ball, standing on both feet or standing on one foot for extra work of the core and improved balance.
- Warm up your body with 5 minutes on the treadmill to avoid injuries.
- Don’t forget to stretch when you’soreness to help reduce muscle soreness.
- If you have time add cardio to the end of your workout for extra calorie burning.
- For building muscle use a higher weight and perform less reps. To tone use a lower weight and do more reps.
- If you are new to the gym don’t hesitate to ask questions of the staff. They are there to help. The more you feel comfortable the more you will and go and not cancel your membership. That is their goal as well as yours.